Sunday, July 27, 2008
So we watched not so patiently for the cuckoo to make his appearance at 2 and 3 o'clock. Then we ate some of AN's homemade peach pie with Schwan's vanilla ice cream! Heaven! The boys said the vanilla ice cream was the best ever!
Travelling on I managed to miss a turnoff and ended up about 20 min. north and 30 minutes west of our end destination. Grrr. Drove through miles of cornfields with a major sinus HA (as the corn was in full tassel). Finally met up with sister Karen and "Cousin Andrea" at the hotel. So good to see them. More than 1.5 years since our last visit together. Anxious to watch Andrea play softball. Such talent. More 2 follow.
- dinner at IJ's for a mexican chicken salad with a Blue Moon and orange slice to wash it all down oh and a shared order of fries
- trip to HL for a BIA (Mick was referring to a Bind it OFF-not really sure why he would want to refer to it as that-LOL)
- LONESTAR CONCERT-awesome! so good!
- McAllister's tea
- sharing of a funnel cake with Holly + Mark (how fitting that they met up with us on our anniversary celebration-after all-Mick and I met b/c of them! :) Oh my stars-Mick and I both thought it probably had been at least 20 years since the last one we consumed. Yumola!
- home to consume a few more beverages and watch some tennis while Mick played some BF2
- oh...and Mick got his iPhone delivered today-so we played with it the whole way to and from the fairgrounds--how much fun is it? Next person in the family to get one...moi!
Friday, July 25, 2008
"There are two types of people in this world — givers and takers.”
You know, I think there is a lot of truth in that statement! My life experiences repeatedly verify the accuracy of that statement.
I bet you’ve seen it in your life too… Some people ADD to your life with their mere presence — they fill you up, give you more energy, inspire you. While other people SUBTRACT from your life — they wear you out, drain your energy, deplete your reserves.
(I am so grateful that the list of givers in my life is quite long!)
So, the challenge today is simple:
1) Examine yourself: Into which category do you fall?
2) Take action: Today, be a giver, not a taker.
To motivate you in this giving challenge, here are some quotes:
We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give. (Winston Churchill)
You have the power to make someone’s day. (Dan Zadra)
It is satisfying knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference. (Irene Natividad)
It is when we forget ourselves that we do things that are most likely to be remembered. (Parker Sweetwater)
Your heart has brought great joy to many. Those hearts can never forget you. (Flavia Weeden)
Those who bring sunshine to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves. (J. M. Barrie)
Things you do for other people are usually some of the best things you do. (Michael Nolan)
People who deal with life generously and large-heartedly go on multiplying relationships to the end. (Arthur C. Benson)
No man can get rich himself unless he enriches others. (Earl Nightingale)
For this I bless you most. You give much and know not that you give at all. (Kahlil Gibran)
And in closing…
May happiness touch your life today as warmly as you have touched the lives of others. (Rebecca Forsythe)
I read this on another scrapper's blog (Carrie Colbert Batt) today and thought it was spot on.
Thursday, July 24, 2008
- Just returned from piano lessons and washing the van.
- Gearing up for a road trip to watch my niece (Andrea) play in a national softball tourney. So excited to see her and my sis (it's been a year and a half already!) Going to visit other family along the way. Excited about that. Also hope to get some scrapping in. Finish the Cancun album I've been working on.
- laundry, bills, Quicken, filing, mopping and sweeping also on the agenda topped off with tennis tonight! (woohoo-always worth a day of the drudgework to end on a high note!)
- and tomorrow-well tomorrow is Lonestar! Yippee!
Sunday, July 20, 2008
- Batman and Robin on the tube
- intense reading by Ian- Finished HP#4 and onto Rick Riordan's new book. The kid read for over 4 hours today!!!
- nursing sunburns-loaded the boys up with SPF before leaving cabin and then inadvertently left lotion in the van at the campground (we could'nt put in at usual spot-yellowjackets!)
- Club Penguin
- the creation of "Princess Peppermint's" Webkinz bed by the BooBear-and yes, she did feel the pea beneath her (LOL) picture of said creation to follow--took most of morning to make the bed
- uploading pics from laptop and ordering, organizing backed up pics that are on cd's (still mourning over the loss of July and August 2007-especially 1st day of KGTN pics-although I really thought I had backed these up onto cd's...huge sigh....)
- photoshopping pics from Cancun trip, adding text and postprocessing
- laundry, laundry, laundry.
- Mick mowed the yard
- planning for the schoolyear with Michelle
- Olympics 08 studies
- writing up to do list for the week
- gearing up to see faraway family next week
- scolding the puppers for chasing the Hugster
- listening to Mick play BF2 with his online buddies and watching his quirky + hilarious + spastic minute movements of his mouth as he tries to annihilate virtual enemies with his various forms of weapons and ammunition. Trust me on this one...it's hilarious.
- Organizing school stuff and straightening up scrapbook area. Ongoing....
- fighting a bout with seasonal allergies--aaaaahhhh...Aaaah....CHOO!
Friday, July 18, 2008
- usta mixed doubles, we won our match
- Olympics 08 study
- VBS art
- baseball for Ian (1st time at pitching)
- Bakugan for the boys (latest thing)
- Borders trip, Tolkien series, pirateology for Boo (complete with a ship to assemble-that was fun)
- Mick to Omaha on business
- scrapping Cancun
- oil down $5 a barrel-woohoo a drop of a gigantic 10 cents at the pump, currently $3.79
- planning curriculum for the school year
- puppy dogs needing attention
- The Tennis Channel: Destination Tennis
Wednesday, July 16, 2008
Monday, July 07, 2008
Wednesday, July 02, 2008
- wii play (New Topspin 3 game-woohoo!)
- Harry Potter #4 (Ian)
- Mouse and the Motorcycle (Ethan)
- decluttering school papers, paring down and organizing
- to AR + UG's (celebrate his BD yesterday) for H20 fun w/cousins
- Mick out of town (review with Bossman Gerry)
- Wimbledon viewing
- preparing for 4th
- writing thank you + get well card (Mimi's upcoming knee Sx)
- random memory-found huge preggo black widow spider in garage on Sun.-yikes!
Tuesday, July 01, 2008
(Note: This is a quote from one of our all time favorite family movies, What about Bob? where Bob, Bill Murray's character is consuming corn on the cob-with gluttonous behavior and much smacking and slurping.)
And then Lil' Boo Who chimes in with...
"OOhhh.. and are these beans hand snapped?"
(I had had the boys snap the beans in preparation for dinner!LOL)
Ok...Is it just me...or is the boy hilarious?
Finally finished up with all of the laundry from our recent trip to Cancun. Downloading the pics and hope to post some soon. Bills are paid and house is somewhat in order-so hopefully I'll get back here soon to post some. Til then,